Responding to increased versatile low-cost spectrum needs driven by the demand for mobile video, voice, data access, and the hunger for high-quality images, the new Terasic DE2-115 offers an optimal balance of low cost, low power and a rich supply of logic, memory and DSP capabilities, featuring the Cyclone® IV E device.
The DE2-115 adopts similar features from the earlier DE2 series primarily the DE2-70, as well as additional interfaces to support mainstream protocols including Gigabit Ethernet (GbE). A High-Speed Mezzanine Card (HSMC) connector is provided to support additional functionality and connectivity via HSMC daughter cards and cables. For large-scale ASIC prototype development, a connection can be made with two or more FPGA-based boards by means of a HSMC cable through the HSMC connector. The Cyclone EP4CE115 device equipped on the DE2-115 features 114,480 logic elements (LEs), the largest offered in the Cyclone IV E series, up to 3.9-Mbits of RAM, and 266 multipliers. In addition, it delivers an unprecedented combination of low cost and functionality, and lower power compared to previous generation Cyclone devices.
Development Kit Hardware Contents
- EPCS64; On-board USB-Blaster; JTAG and AS mode configuration supported
- 128MB SDRAM; 2MB SRAM; 8MB Flash; EEPROM
- SPI and 4-bit SD mode; USB 2.0 host & device with Windows driver
- 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports; High Speed Mezzanine Card (HSMC)
- 40-pin Expansion Port; RS232 port; VGA out; TV decoder; line-in & out, and microphone-in jacks
Development Kit Software Contents
- DE2-115 System Builder - create an Intel® Quartus® Prime II project with top-level design file, pin assignments, and I/O standard settings automatically.
- Memory & Multimedia Reference Designs
- Schematic and Mechanical Drawing
- DE2-115 Control Panel - access various peripherals on the FPGA board from a host computer.
- SD card and Web Server Demonstrations
The DE2-115 package includes:
- The DE2-115 board.
- USB Cable for FPGA programming and control.
- DE2-115 System CD containing the DE2-115 documentation and supporting materials, including the User Manual, the Control Panel, System Builder and Altera Monitor Program utility, reference designs and demonstrations, device datasheets, tutorials, and a set of laboratory exercises.
- CD-ROMs containing Altera’s Quartus® II Web Edition and the Nios® II Embedded Design Suit Evaluation Edition software.
- Bag of six rubber (silicon) covers for the DE2-115 board stands. The bag also contains some extender pins, which can be used to facilitate easier probing with testing equipment of the board’s I/O expansion headers.
- Clear plastic cover for the board.
- 12V DC desktop power supply.
- Remote controller
Board Hardware Contents
The DE2-115 board has many features that allow users to implement a wide range of designed circuits, from simple circuits to various multimedia projects. The following hardware is provided on the DE2-115 board:
- Altera Cyclone® IV 4CE115 FPGA device
- Altera Serial Configuration device – EPCS64
- USB Blaster (on board) for programming; both JTAG and Active Serial (AS) programming modes are supported
- 2MB SRAM
- Two 64MB SDRAM
- 8MB Flash memory
- SD Card socket
- 4 Push-buttons
- 18 Slide switches
- 18 Red user LEDs
- 9 Green user LEDs
- 50MHz oscillator for clock sources
- 24-bit CD-quality audio CODEC with line-in, line-out, and microphone-in jacks
- VGA DAC (8-bit high-speed triple DACs) with VGA-out connector
- TV Decoder (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) and TV-in connector
- 2 Gigabit Ethernet PHY with RJ45 connectors
- USB Host/Slave Controller with USB type A and type B connectors
- RS-232 transceiver and 9-pin connector
- PS/2 mouse/keyboard connector
- IR Receiver
- 2 SMA connectors for external clock input/output
- One 40-pin Expansion Header with diode protection
- One High Speed Mezzanine Card (HSMC) connector
- 16x2 LCD module
In addition to these hardware features, the DE2-115 board has software support for standard I/O interfaces and a control panel facility for accessing various components. Also, the software is provided for supporting a number of demonstrations that illustrate the advanced capabilities of the DE2-115 board
- Cyclone IV EP4CE115F29 device
- 114,480 LEs
- 432 M9K memory blocks
- 3,888 Kbits embedded memory
- 4 PLLs
- JTAG and AS mode configuration
- EPCS64 serial configuration device
- On-board USB Blaster circuitry
- 128MB (32Mx32bit) SDRAM
- 2MB (1Mx16) SRAM
- 8MB (4Mx16) Flash with 8-bit mode
- 32Kb EEPROM
SD Card socket
- Provides SPI and 4-bit SD mode for SD Card access
- Two Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps ports
- High Speed Mezzanine Card (HSMC)
- Configurable I/O standards (voltage levels:3.3/2.5/1.8/1.5V)
- USB type A and B
o Provide host and device controllers compliant with USB 2.0
o Support data transfer at full-speed and low-speed
o PC driver available
- 40-pin expansion port
o Configurable I/O standards (voltage levels:3.3/2.5/1.8/1.5V)
- VGA-out connector
o VGA DAC (high speed triple DACs)
- DB9 serial connector for RS-232 port with flow control
- PS/2 mouse/keyboard
- Three 50MHz oscillator clock inputs
- SMA connectors (external clock input/output)
- 24-bit encoder/decoder (CODEC)
- Line-in, line-out, and microphone-in jacks
- 16x2 LCD module
Switches and indicators
- 18 slide switches and 4 push-buttons switches
- 18 red and 9 green LEDs
- Eight 7-segment displays
- Infrared remote-control receiver module
- TV decoder (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) and TV-in connector
- Desktop DC input
- Switching and step-down regulators LM3150MH